Pelvic pain is a common symptom many women experience. But if your pain is affecting your ability to do the things you enjoy, it’s time to get it checked out. The team at FemGYN in Park Slope of Brooklyn, New York, provides urgent medical care to women experiencing abnormal pelvic pain.

request an appointment

When should I seek medical help for pelvic pain?

Menstrual cramps are a common cause of pelvic pain in women, but if your pain, whether caused by your periods or not, is making it difficult to get to work or do the things you enjoy, you should come to FemGYN for an evaluation. The women’s medical practice specializes in urgent health conditions and will share all medical information with your regular gynecologist to ensure you get continuity of care.

FemGYN also provides care for women without health insurance and those in between providers.

What causes pelvic pain in women?

You may experience pelvic pain for any number of reasons. Common gynecological conditions that cause pelvic pain include:

  • Menstrual cramps
  • Endometriosis, a condition where endometrial tissue grows outside the uterus
  • Fibroids, noncancerous tumors that grow in uterine tissue

A urinary tract infection also can cause you to feel pelvic pain.  UTIs can be tested and treated at FemGYN. 

Pelvic pain can be caused by other health issues that aren’t related to your reproductive organs, such as constipation, gastroenteritis, and kidney stones.

Your specialist at FemGYN will conduct a thorough examination, including a review of your medical history and a physical and pelvic exam, to identify the cause of your pelvic pain. Additional testing, such as urine or blood tests or an ultrasound, may be recommended to help formulate a diagnosis.

No matter the cause, the team at FemGYN provides you the care you need, or makes an appropriate referral, so you get relief from your symptoms and get back to doing the things you love.

How is pelvic pain treated?

Treatment for pelvic pain depends on the cause. For menstrual cramps and endometriosis, your specialist may recommend over-the-counter pain medications or birth control pills to relieve your symptoms.

If your pain can’t be relieved through conservative measures, your specialist at FemGYN: For Her Wellness may refer you to a gynecologist who can determine if you’re a candidate for surgery.